Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Time for Reinventing Oneself

I'm now in my third month of retirement and gradually adjusting to the differences in day-to-day life. While I was still working, I assumed that I would still get up at 5 a.m. every morning. Ha! I now totally resent any morning appointments that require the setting of the alarm clock! This morning, I was awake and reading magazines on the iPad between 3 a.m. - 6 a.m. So it was nice to be able to doze off again and not get up until 8 a.m.

I've discovered that the block of time between 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. works best for errands and grocery shopping. Wait until 11 a.m. and the stores are a bit more crowded. But the local police are certainly on duty. Last week I was stopped for speeding while doing my long list of errands (clearly, I must have been in a hurry!), and fortunately, I received only a warning. This hasn't happened in a very, very long time.

The month of March was a bit of a bummer as I had a medical issue to deal with. Nothing serious, but I was clearly not myself for about five weeks. Being lethargic and doing nothing wasn't really the way I wanted to kick off my retirement. But - perhaps that was the universe's message to me to slow down a bit, take life easy and enjoy what retirement has to offer. It's nice to be able to get medical appointments scheduled much sooner than during the days when I had to work around my professional commitments.

I'm glad to be active with my local genealogy society. It's strictly volunteer work, but the activities give me the stability of a job and being around people. And following my passion. When working, I used to joke that "my job keeps getting in the way of my career." Not so any more. I've been teaching some classes and last Sunday I had a table at the Seniors Chautauqua sponsored by the 55+ Seniors Paper. I did surname searches for participants and I had a ball listening to their stories about their family history.

The funniest thing that happened was when one woman said to me, "You're famous in genealogy!" I never thought of it that way at all. But the farther removed I get from the person who worked for 42 years, the more I embrace who I am becoming now. I'm becoming more comfortable in seeing myself as that genealogist, writer and speaker. Before, my life was much more compartmentalized. Now I get to be myself all the time. Reinvention? Perhaps. Or maybe just rediscovering the person who was there all along.

Either way, I love the freedom of retirement. And it's time to go pick up the Birkenstocks that I had to have resoled.


1 comment:

  1. It's been a year for me. It's taken that long to figure out how to spend my days. I am actually not retired, but taking, at least part time, genealogy client work. But, never the less, having the freedom to decide how most of my days go has been both awesome and difficult.

    ReplyDelete